Sunday, June 7, 2015

Is school a waste of time?

As most of the other kids, I used to be interested in everytrhing aroung me. I was fascinated by things like computer of television and I used to think how these boxes full of wires, wheels and boards can do such an amazing work. I also wasn't able to undestand, how the mail sending works - I always thought that when you put a letter into the mailbox, it gets invisible and than it flies in the air to the adresser. I wanted to discover the world, know all the answers for all my "why's" and "how's" ...


source: weheartit
When I used to go to the kindergaten, I used to love playling like I'm in school. It used to look like this: I put some notebooks and books to my school bag, I prepaired a snack and me and my four years younger brother acted like it's a math or czech lesson, after few minutes we ate our bread with jam and then we continued.

I was quite looking forward to go to start going to the primary school. It changed during the first few months of real school. I was able to count to twenty, I could already read and write when I was in the kindergarten, so I didn't understand why I should go to school. My mom used to explain, that we have to go to school to learn something new, learn to cooperate, to understand the world, find new friends ... But I still continuted asking her, why I have to go to school if I already know everything. Mom survived for about a month and then she couldn't handle it anymore so she shouted: "The schooling is mandatory since Maria Theresa and if you don't go to school, I'll be imprisoned and you'll be put to a foster home." That made me not asking anymore, but my passion for discovering the world just because I'm interested in it, changed to collecting red dots, stars, praises, A's and also effort to avoid black dots and bad marks ... Due to this school attitude, we keep memorizing things without trying to understand them, we cheat and copy from our classmate, just to get a good mark. Fortunatelly, at least my parents used to be more interested in how I was doing all day long, than about my school marks ono their own.

Studying
source: weheartit

Recently I'm suffering with awful fatigue during the morning spent in school. It's not something that could be healed by long sleep and a cup of coffee. It's an exhaustion cased by the stereotype and totally constant everyday circulation. I think that also the holland exchange is one of the reasons - comming after the two very intensive weeks back to the daily routime, old jokes and comments of the teachers and classmates was a huge change.

People should have some general overview and basic skills - know how to add, subtract, divide and multiply, know that there was someone called Shakespeare, know what countries border on your country and stuff like this. Due to these things, you have more topics to talk about and personally I enjoy being "smart". I feel great when I know what's the capital of Bangladesh or the division of social groups ....

But I totally hate, when the teachers motivates the way that they are not able to give us any other use of the lecture topic than "you'll need it for your leaving exam" or "it can appear in university admission test". It's the same like if they said "Hm, it's totally useless, you'll never have a chace to use it in your life, but you'll need it for that exam/test". I'd like to study with some more valuable motivation than just the leaving exam. I'd like to study because I enjoy it, because I'm getting new informations, I'd like to study with some internal passion.

Source: weheartit
I put together few things that would help me to feel like going to school is not just "going" and that it's a meaningful use of time:


  • Know that I will be able to use the lecture topic in my own life
  • Optional subjects
  • Greater trust on the part of teachers - if I'm interested in some topic, I'm able to learn tons of informations and I don't need to write tests and get marks every day
  • More space for creativity, discussion and our opinions - not just "be quiet and repeat"
  • More space for discovering our strenghts
  • Less lessons and more time for self study (it's connected to the trust in our responsibility)

Are you satisfied with school education?

No comments:

Post a Comment